Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Ginger wine chicken 黄酒薑雞

I've recently started menu planning for the entire week and found that it's a really good way to ensure produce and meats don't go to waste. In a way, this helps save money too as I optimize my cooking ingredients to make the best meals out of them. Yesterday, this effort 'rewarded' me to a nice comfort food just as I was feeling the winter blues.

This chicken dish is fragrant with ginger, rice wine and sesame oil. I think you'd either love it or hate it.

Summary of recipe:

Sautè for a few minutes after each addition:
  1. Aromatics - 2 Tbsp sesame oil + sliced ginger (2") + chopped half garlic.
  2. Main - Half a free range chicken (chopped into medium size pieces) + wood ear strips
  3. Seasoning - 3 Tbsp oyster sauce + large splash of Chinese cooking wine + Shaoxing wine + sprinkle of sugar + dash of light soy + dark soy + pepper. 
  4. Water - half to one cup (depending on how much gravy you want)
Let it simmer for 30 minutes until chicken is cooked and gravy is reduced to desired thickness.

Top with spring onions.

1 comment: